Synopsis: Sustainability has become one of the major buzzwords within the food and agricultural industries, but there are myriad definitions of the word and differing claims as to which production systems are more or less sustainable. This presentation will focus on the factors affecting sustainability in both on-farm production and dietary choice, and bust some of the myths surrounding food sustainability.
1) Viewers will be able to define sustainability and understand that all systems have the potential to be sustainable
2) Viewers will understand the importance of choosing the correct metric when assessing carbon footprints and other environmental factors
3) Viewers will be able to discuss the various factors that contribute to livestock system productivity and efficiency
4) Viewers will understand the importance of putting dietary and environmental information into context for the consumer
5) Viewers will be able to discuss the various ways that we, as consumers, make food choices